Re: added memory, should I increase swap?

Peter Christensen <christenpet@snip.net> writes:

> Should I change my swap partition to 256MB, to match the new memory?

It depends on your kernel. For 2.2, no. For 2.4.x, x >= 0 && x < 10,
maybe. For 2.4.x, x >= 10, no. For the 2.4.x-ac kernels, yes, although I
believe that newer -ac kernels are going to be using the AA VM. I
personally run 2.4.14 and am very happy with it.

The old rule of thumb about always having 2x swap was valid for some
OSes, but doesn't really apply to most linux VM's, with the exception of
the early 2.4 kernels. Under the latest 2.4 kernel, virtual memory =
real + swap, so only change your swap if you find yourself running out
of virtual memory.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! If this was a SWEDISH
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | MOVIE, I'd take off your GO-GO