Re: VooDoo3 Problem *someone must know*

At 1006141318s since epoch (11/18/01 22:41:58 -0500 UTC), JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, me again. :) Sorry if I'm getting annoying. I've got a Duron 880mhz
> system with 196 mb ram, and a VooDoo 3, plenty to run Quake 3.

I'm assuming you're using xfree 4.x.  I too have a voodoo3, and had a
lot of trouble getting it working, but it does work now, and I play
quake on it.

It's been a long time since I messed with this, but here's what I
remember right now:

- install the xlibmesa3/xlibosmesa3 packages (this was the one that
  got me)

- install the libglide3 package

- Make sure (at least initially) that you're running at 1024x768 @
  16bpp.  The voodoo likes to run at this reduced resolution for full 3D

- Compile DRM into your kernel. (stock debian kernels work for me)

- Check the output of 'glxinfo'.  It should start out like this:

=====
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
=====

- Double-check your XF86Config-4 file.  Here's what the relevant parts
  of my config look like:

=====
Section "Module"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"pex5"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"xie"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"int10"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Voodoo3"
	Driver		"tdfx"
	VideoRam	16384
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection
=====

That's all I can remember right now.  Give that stuff a shot, and if
you're still in trouble, write back and I'll see if I can jog my
memory more...

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/