Re: missing XFree86 executable in woody (and perhaps potato too) :(

Glen Coates wrote:

> I am a redhat user trying to migrate to debian and have had no luck
> with getting X to work on any version of debian.  I have posted this
> query to linux.debian.user with no helpful replies, and now turn to you
> good people for guidance :)
>
> I installed woody (nov-09 ISO's) using the first 2 CD's of the set, and
> for the package selection stage of the install I just used tasksel to
> select 'desktop environment', and bypassed the dselect portion of the
> installation.  The system appears to have installed OK apart from a few
> warnings about emacs19 packages not being available (which I don't
> think would have affected X).
>
> Anyway ... issuing a 'startx' or 'xinit' as either root or user at a
> terminal prompt gives me an error message telling me to make sure that:
>
> 1.  /usr/X11R6/bin is in my path (which it is)
> 2.  'X' is a valid executable
>
>  From other replies I got, I understand that this 'X' is supposed to be
> a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  My freshly installed woody distro
> doesn't have an executable that looks *anything like* 'XFree86'
> anywhere!  (I ran a find / -regex '.*XF.*' -perm +1 to verify this) ...
> now, how is it possible that X hasn't been installed properly?  I
> clearly saw various gnome applets and applications being installed
> during the installation process, and they must surely depend on X being
> installed, so where's my executable?  Also, to clarify, /usr/bin/X11 is
> a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin.
>
> Can anyone offer any help with this?  I couldn't get X started on
> potato either, although I can't be sure the error message was exactly
> the same.  Has anyone had any similar experiences on woody or potato?

  you already got response that should help you get going but in
addition to that: anytime you are looking for a file you know is in one
of the packages but don't know which one, go to debian.org web site, go
to packages section (left side menu) and use the last form on the page
to search for the file, it will tell you in which package the file is.

	erik