VooDoo3 Problem *someone must know*

Hi, me again. :) Sorry if I'm getting annoying. I've got a Duron 880mhz
system with 196 mb ram, and a VooDoo 3, plenty to run Quake 3. But when I try
to run it, it goes at about 1fps. The options say it's using "default" GL
driver, not 3Dfx like it should be. I'm told that means it's using MESA
Software rendering, but it did that before I even had MESA installed. I
installed MESA-4.0, compiled in DRM 3Dfx and Framebuffer support, but it
still won't work.. I built the 3Dfx device from the sources in a .deb, so now
I have /dev/3Dfx, but nothing can ever find my VooDoo 3. test3Dfx can't
communicate w/ the card, and neither can Unreal Tournament. I can get 32-bit
color in X so it's obviously working hardware wise (and in windows, yuck),
and I am using XFree86 3.x at 16bpp. When I run Quake 2, and try to use 3dfx,
it crashes. When I try to use GLx it says "Loading GLx version (something)"
and then Segfaults.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Deven Gallo