weird X or icewm bug - mouse doesn't follow pointer

I'm running X 3.whatever on woody, with icewm, and an S3 Vision968 card
and serial mouse.

Sometimes, after clicking the icon on the task/launch bar to start
nescape, the mouse can be moved, the pointer moves around the screen,
but left clicking activates the same netscape button again.

This results in my flatmate starting about 50 copies of netscape: each
time it pops up its window to complain about the lock file, he clicks
cancel and it starts another copy.

Eventually he comes complaining to me, by which time the machine is
thrashing too hard to log in to, and I have to reset it.

I've only seen it on that one machine - my own machine uses gnome as
well as icewm, so maybe that's the reason, I don't know.

Anybody else seen this?

Thanks,

Richard