Re: missing XFree86 executable in woody (and perhaps potato too) :(

Glen Coates wrote:

I am a redhat user trying to migrate to debian and have had no luck with getting X to work on any version of debian. I have posted this query to linux.debian.user with no helpful replies, and now turn to you good people for guidance :)

I installed woody (nov-09 ISO's) using the first 2 CD's of the set, and for the package selection stage of the install I just used tasksel to select 'desktop environment', and bypassed the dselect portion of the installation. The system appears to have installed OK apart from a few warnings about emacs19 packages not being available (which I don't think would have affected X).

Anyway ... issuing a 'startx' or 'xinit' as either root or user at a terminal prompt gives me an error message telling me to make sure that:

1.  /usr/X11R6/bin is in my path (which it is)
2.  'X' is a valid executable

From other replies I got, I understand that this 'X' is supposed to be a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86. My freshly installed woody distro doesn't have an executable that looks *anything like* 'XFree86' anywhere! (I ran a find / -regex '.*XF.*' -perm +1 to verify this) ... now, how is it possible that X hasn't been installed properly? I clearly saw various gnome applets and applications being installed during the installation process, and they must surely depend on X being installed, so where's my executable? Also, to clarify, /usr/bin/X11 is a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin.

Can anyone offer any help with this? I couldn't get X started on potato either, although I can't be sure the error message was exactly the same. Has anyone had any similar experiences on woody or potato?

Cheers,
Glen

If /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 is not installed, run
  # apt-get install xserver-xfree86

Configure your XF86Config-4 by:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or