Re: Apt-get install removes?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 10:31:33AM +0800, Paolo Falcone wrote:
> Iiro A K Jantunen wrote:
> >I tried to install (upgrade) perl on my Debian Potato. What happened,
> >was shocking to me.
> >
> >What was the problem? Why did install start such removing mayhem?
> >
> >I have used both potato and woody as sources for different packages. I had
> >just commented woody out from /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get updated.
>
> Are the packages installed in your system dependent on perl or perl5?
> AFAIK, the ones the system wants to deinstall are all dependent on
> perl5. if i'm right, perl is older than perl5 (woody has 5.6, i
> believe)

In potato, the 'perl' package was 5.004, which was indeed older than
perl-5.005 which provided perl5. However, in woody the attempt to have
multiple perl packages on one system has been aborted, so the 'perl'
package is version 5.6. In both releases perl5 is just a virtual package
provided by anything that contains a Perl 5 interpreter.