GLE libraries

Hello all,
I'm trying to compile the GLE libraries from source obtained at
http://www.linas.org/gle/ and I'm having a few problems.  The latest
version (3.0.5) fails to compile due to a makefile error (no rule to make
COPYING.src in all-am, I think), but 3.0.4 compiles and installs just
fine.  When I apt-get source xscreensaver and either do debian/rules
build or ./configure make, etc. it complains that it finds only the
headers but not the libraries for GLE.  The headers install into
/usr/local/include and the libs into /usr/local/lib, both of which
should be fine, but just to make sure after a few failures, I added
those paths to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran ldconfig.  Still nothing but
pain.  Before I start doing something stupid, anybody have any pointers,
or managed to get this going?  Pointing me towards something I've
missed, or even speaking very slowly in small words so that the deranged
man doesn't flinch, would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Steve
--
Q:	What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?