Opinions on Laptops to Install With Debian

Someone recently pointed me towards eBay regarding my video
card delimma; but when I considered the matter, what I
*really* want, is a LAPTOP, than I can use from bed (i have
some health difficulties) for learning Linux, and doing a
lot of paperless reading...

What sort of a laptop should I look for, in terms of what
is really compatible with Linux, and especially DEBIAN?

There are decent offers for IBM ThinkPads, for instance
(Such as an offer for an "IBM Thinkpad 560X, P233, 24XCD,
96MB, 4GB,56k", $113.50 (two of 'em like this)).

Suggestions?

TIA,

--mVIIs