Re: Opinions on Laptops to Install With Debian

Mark Seven Smith, 2001-Nov-16 15:52 -0800:
> Someone recently pointed me towards eBay regarding my video
> card delimma; but when I considered the matter, what I
> *really* want, is a LAPTOP, than I can use from bed (i have
> some health difficulties) for learning Linux, and doing a
> lot of paperless reading...
>
> What sort of a laptop should I look for, in terms of what
> is really compatible with Linux, and especially DEBIAN?
>
> There are decent offers for IBM ThinkPads, for instance
> (Such as an offer for an "IBM Thinkpad 560X, P233, 24XCD,
> 96MB, 4GB,56k", $113.50 (two of 'em like this)).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA,

I'm on the debian-laptop dist list and have seen some positive
posts regarding that IBM system.  From what I read, the IBM
laptops in general are pretty solid laptops with good Linux
support.  You shouldn't have too much trouble getting everything
working on it.  Plus, the price seems pretty darn good.  That's
more than enough system for what you want to use it for.

Hell, you ought to buy both of them for spares.

Also, I've had good results running Debian Linux on older
Toshiba's (410CDT and 750CDM) and a newer Dell Lattitude CPi.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User