Re: Opinions on Laptops to Install With Debian

On Sat, 2001-11-17 at 10:52, Mark Seven Smith wrote:
> Someone recently pointed me towards eBay regarding my video
> card delimma; but when I considered the matter, what I
> *really* want, is a LAPTOP, than I can use from bed (i have
> some health difficulties) for learning Linux, and doing a

I hope you get better...

> What sort of a laptop should I look for, in terms of what
> is really compatible with Linux, and especially DEBIAN?

Firstly, you might want to join debian-laptop@lists.debian.org for
people discussing debian on laptops.

I use a Dell Inspiron 8000 and it is great with Debian.  I have the
Aciontec mini-PCI combined ethernet (EthernetExpress 100,
module=eepro100) and 56k modem (lucent based winmodem, compile the
LTwinmodem module) both of which are fully functional under Debian and
RedHat.

The video card is an ATI Rage Mobility M4 which is functioning fine but
I haven't looked into 3D graphics much.

I also have the built-in CD-RW drive but haven't had time to look at
burning yet but have seen plenty of people do it so it should work fine
too.

Check out www.linux-laptop.net for tonnes of peoples experiences and
tips on installing linux on hundreds of laptops.

Hope this helps...

--
* Simon Wong		*