Re: 2 GB limit with ext2

Rupa Schomaker wrote:

> Which release, which kernel?
>
> I can sucesfully make > 2g tars using a 2.4 kernel on woody using
> either a ext2 or XFS filesystem.
>
> There are quite a few tools in woody that don't support > 2g files but
> most of the critical ones do and for those that don't it is fairly
> straight forward to rebuild the .deb with large file support enabled.
>
> Antti Tolamo <antti@tola.org> writes:
>
> > Anywaa around it?
> >
> > I'm trying to do a tarball as a backup
> > for my system but after 2 GB process
> > stops to an error. And yes, I do have
> > over 4 GB free space where I'm
> > trying to make tarball.

Hi Antti.

I just struggled my way to through to get LFS (large file support) in a
potato system installed about six months ago.  What I had to do was to
compile new kernel (2.4.9 + aacraid patch) since I upgraded from (a
perfectly stable) 2.2.19, you shouldn't have to do this if you're
already using 2.4.x.
  Installed this just to find out that I still could not create large
files, the struggle began.  In the end it turned out to be really
simple; You can not use 'libc6' from stable (potato), but have to go
with testing/unstable.  (I got the impression that one could also
recompile libc against the 2.4 headers, but I just downloaded 'libc6'
and 'libc6-dev' from testing.)
  They will likely conflict with some installed packages you may have (I
had to adjust locale, libstdc++ and a few XXXX-dev packages), but should
be solvable by installing/removing/reinstalling the troublesome packages
manually.  Just take it easy and don't make any drastic changes.

Once libc6 and depending packages were setup properly, I used dd to
create a file of 3.5G just to try.  Worked liked a charm.  Hopefully I
don't have to reboot for at least another 150-days period...

Good luck,
	Emil