Re: 2 GB limit with ext2

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Emil Pedersen wrote:

> I just struggled my way to through to get LFS (large file support) in a
> potato system installed about six months ago.  What I had to do was to
> compile new kernel (2.4.9 + aacraid patch) since I upgraded from (a
> perfectly stable) 2.2.19, you shouldn't have to do this if you're
> already using 2.4.x.
>   Installed this just to find out that I still could not create large
> files, the struggle began.  In the end it turned out to be really
> simple; You can not use 'libc6' from stable (potato), but have to go
> with testing/unstable.  (I got the impression that one could also
> recompile libc against the 2.4 headers, but I just downloaded 'libc6'
> and 'libc6-dev' from testing.)
>   They will likely conflict with some installed packages you may have (I
> had to adjust locale, libstdc++ and a few XXXX-dev packages), but should
> be solvable by installing/removing/reinstalling the troublesome packages
> manually.  Just take it easy and don't make any drastic changes.
>
> Once libc6 and depending packages were setup properly, I used dd to
> create a file of 3.5G just to try.  Worked liked a charm.  Hopefully I
> don't have to reboot for at least another 150-days period...

Just to be sure that I understand, besides having the libc6 and other
packages from testing/unstable, one _must_ also be using a 2.4.x kernel.
Is that correct? Do you also have to "turn on" some large file option when
configuring the kernel or is it the default?

Any idea if you really need packages from unstable, or is testing (woody)
good enough?

...RickM...