Re: filesystem suddenly read-only - how come?

nate wrote:

> Erik Steffl said:
>
> >  (that was the only error)
>
> try forcing a bad block scan. when ive gotten that remounting
> error i had bad blocks. a good sign for a failing drive or
> otherwise misconfigured system(cable too long, controller
> going bad, bad driver etc) would be if the system says
>
> **** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED ****
>
> even if it doesnt say what it modified. even when running
> fsck with verbose on over and over again(without remounting)
> if it says file system modified i'd backup everything that you
> want to keep and try to find a program that can run diagnostics
> on the drive. and eventually RMA the drive
>

> >  again, I have no idea what that error means (I checked google,
> >  found
> > some posts mentioning it but didn't find anything that would help
> > me to figure out what's going on). I am mainly interested whether
> > this is a filesystem problem (software) or disk problem (hardware).
>
> i can't imagine how it could be software related, ive
> never personally had filesystem curroption on any filesystem
> on a mounted filesystem. only time ive ever gotten curroption
> was after an unclean shutdown. either hard crash, or the
> system hangs enough that i hit reset, or the system reboots
> without being able to unmount the filesystems cleanly.
>
> i am biased though, ive had 12 disk failures in the past
> 6 months(all IBM).

  I ran badblocks and it didn't find any errors, I ran the mild form of
testing only (as recommended on 'live' filesystem):

jojda:/home/erik# badblocks -s -v /dev/hdb7
Checking for bad blocks in read-only mode
>From block 0 to 19535008
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found.

  seems like a good sign I guess...

  anybody knows what:

	Block bitmap differences: -3937687