Re: can exim be started with tcp wrappers?

hi ralf,

begin: Ralf G. R. Bergs <rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE> quote
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:40:56 -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> It would work -- but usually Exim already includes the tcpd stuff, so that
> Exim *automagically* uses /etc/hosts.(allow,deny). You don't need to prefix
> the inetd.conf line with "tcpd".

oh, that's very cool to know.  thanks!  :)

> But note that this is only of limited use -- spammers change IP addresses and
> SMTP relays often, so blocking them doesn't give you any benefits. You might
> even block legitimate messages from being delivered!

i know -- but there are some very persistant spammers, and letters /
complaints don't seem to help.

for instance, 1800flowers.com is absolutely relentless.  i've done
everything, including reporting them to maps rbl.   i'm a pretty experienced
spam combatter, so i'm aware of the issues.

> Better have a look at procmail (Debian package available.) This allows you to
> filter messages by their (header and body) contents -- probably more what you
> want than the above.

i currently use procmail, but only to sort my mail, not to filter it.   i
probably should get one of these procmail spammer lists that people collect
these days.  just haven't gotten around to it.

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002