Re: can exim be started with tcp wrappers?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:40:56 -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>i would like to change
>
>	smtp  stream  tcp  nowait  mail  /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

>	smtp  stream  tcp  nowait  mail  /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs
>
>in inetd.conf.   i'd like to do this so i can drop spammer's IP addresses in
>/etc/hosts.deny so that my host won't talk to them when they send spam.
>
>would this work?   or would it hose my mail?  i'd like to get an opinion
>before trying it.

It would work -- but usually Exim already includes the tcpd stuff, so that
Exim *automagically* uses /etc/hosts.(allow,deny). You don't need to prefix
the inetd.conf line with "tcpd".

But note that this is only of limited use -- spammers change IP addresses and
SMTP relays often, so blocking them doesn't give you any benefits. You might
even block legitimate messages from being delivered!

Better have a look at procmail (Debian package available.) This allows you to
filter messages by their (header and body) contents -- probably more what you
want than the above.

--
Verkaufe Original-BMW-Raeder:                    L I N U X       .~.
http://adsl-bergs.rz.rwth-aachen.de/~rabe       The  Choice      /V\