dhcp with kernel 2.4?

In order to get support for a Netgear FA311 NIC, I've upgraded to kernel
2.4.2 (on Potato).  It's working okay, except it's useless.

That is, I can use tcpdump and see that the card is receiving packets, but
none of the three DHCP clients in Potato (pump, dhclient, dhcpcd) work with
kernel 2.4.  I might actually upgrade to Woody, except that, well, I can't
use the cable modem to do that until I get DHCP working.  (I'm sending this
using a 56K modem.)

Anyone know a way to use dhcp with Potato and a 2.4 kernel?
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum