Broken libc6 package

Hi,

I'm afraid I made a very big fault.
I have a potato 2.2r4.

I wanted to upgrade the libc6 package from woody and other packages
without passing by a 'dist-upgrade' via apt-get, just using dpkg. The
upgrade was ok. Then (I don't know why I made that! ), I wanted to
downgrade the same package and the downgrade failed at the middle of the
installation

Now when I want to install the testing/stable libc6
package I have these error messages:
<tscreen>
#dpkg -i libc6_2.2.4-5_i386.deb
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin.
<tscreen>

Note : my root PATH contains well mentionned paths

Thx

Fred.

|  ,-.  |Frédéric BURLET                Linux Forever...  |
|  oo|  |IIIième Maitrise Informatique, FUNDP             |
| /`'_) |HomePage : http://www.info.fundp.ac.be/~fburlet  |
|(\__|/ |NamurLUG : http://namurlug.org                   |