Re: GNU Emacs 21 for potato

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

> If I got that right you can not just install Emacs 21 from source
> on potato. I have tried to download a backport from
> <http://debian.linuxfr.org/backports/emacs21-21.1>
> but the download always failed after some time.
>
> So how do I install GNU Emacs 21 (and the related Lisp files)
> on my potato box?

Joe; sent me the stuff below.

---------->  snip  <----------------
Built it last night, the install uses texinfo 4.0b which you can build
from the unstable sources, it also depends on dpkg 1.9.17 from unstable
which  you can just build from the unstable sources again, the install
for dpkg 1.9.17 will also need debiandoc-sgml (version from stable OK)
installed and sysinitv 2.83 which build OK from the unstable sources

--------------> snip <-------------------------------------

With these in place I found that I could build it with the sources from
Debian unstable.  Download the three source packages ***orig.tar.gz ,
***.dsc, ***diff.gz unpack them. Then do

dpkg-source -x ****.dsc

in the directory thus created you then do

dpkg-buildpackage

wh9ch will result, all being well, in two nice little debs which you can
install!

Glyn

               *          Here we are then.......               *
               * http://members.tripod.co.uk/Christchurch2000uk *