RE: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

| linked code). (Does anyone have benchmark results?) If I remember
| correctly, it is debian policy to  use '-g' and then strip non-library
| binaries. I'm sure I'll get howls for suggesting it, but I think that
| the policy should be to not use '-g' in the stable distribution.

Greetings,
	I would agree with this philosophy.  I would suggest that probably testing
and defiantly unstable should have debugging symbols, but not stable.  The
problem with this is probably a matter of procedure.  As packages go from
testing to stable, they would have to be recompiled or stripped.  This could
be a rather nasty process for the thousands of packages in the debian
distro.  Another big upshot would be the reduction in the size of the
packages.  It might make mirroring Debian a little more attractive to reduce
the overall size of the stable arm by 20%+ (Guess).

Random thoughts,

Brooks