Re: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

My guess is that getting rid of '-g' (i.e., debugging symbols) would be the most profitable "optimization." My understanding is that the debug symbols cannot be stripped from library code, so you are probably thrashing your cpu cache unnecessarily when running debian binary packages (at least io-bound processes that run lots of dynamically linked code). (Does anyone have benchmark results?) If I remember correctly, it is debian policy to use '-g' and then strip non-library binaries. I'm sure I'll get howls for suggesting it, but I think that the policy should be to not use '-g' in the stable distribution.

Cheers,
Tim