Re: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

Brooks R. Robinson wrote:

| linked code). (Does anyone have benchmark results?) If I remember
| correctly, it is debian policy to  use '-g' and then strip non-library
| binaries. I'm sure I'll get howls for suggesting it, but I think that
| the policy should be to not use '-g' in the stable distribution.

Greetings,
	I would agree with this philosophy.  I would suggest that probably testing
and defiantly unstable should have debugging symbols, but not stable.  The
problem with this is probably a matter of procedure.  As packages go from
testing to stable, they would have to be recompiled or stripped.  This could
be a rather nasty process for the thousands of packages in the debian
distro.  Another big upshot would be the reduction in the size of the
packages.  It might make mirroring Debian a little more attractive to reduce
the overall size of the stable arm by 20%+ (Guess).

There really isn't a package migration issue; the designations (stable, unstable) migrate to the packages. Its simply a matter of manually (or better automatically) changing the "rules" file when compiling under the current stable distribution. It would be great if someone could get some hard numbers on the space saved and performance improvements of getting rid of debugging symbols in the stable dist (and post it to devel).

Tim

Random thoughts,

Brooks

--