libdb2.so libsybdb.so conflict in dbopen

hi list,
	I've recently came into a nice problem with apache+php+sybase, all in
testing/unstable....

stock debian apache (1.3.22) is linked against libdb2 which exports symbol
dbopen

stock php4 (4.0.99) when hand-compiled via dpkg-buildpackage with minor tweaks
of debian/rules to include sybase instead of sybase-ct compiles quite sans
problems and is finaly linked against (apache's DSO libphp4.so)
/opt/sybase/lib/libsybdb.so, which also exports symbol dbopen

and now when DSO is loaded into apache one of the calls to dbopen (usually
the one from php4) results in a call to dbopen from libdb2.so, and sybase
module therefore is of no use....

this problem probably exists due to a nature of linux's dynamic linker, only
checking symbol names and not the original libraries these symbols came from..

two possible solutions are
1) linking php staticaly against libsybdb.so, seems to be impossible as long
as the libphp4.so and php_sybase_db.so should be produced because result of
static link should be static library (as far as I understood from libtool's
docs)

2) staticaly linking apache against libdb2.so, but this I'm unable also,
because I simply can't find any -ldb2 in stock deb-src of apache (only -ldb1
but there I'm not sure who's who)...

could someone with better libtool knowledge help me in some way ??

[ please CC me, I'm not on the list ]

thank you,
martin

--
2CC0 4AF6 92DA 5CBF 5F09  7BCB 6202 7024 6E06 0223
http://mman.dyndns.org/mman.gpg