Re: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 01:53:20PM +0100, spear wrote:

> I was wondering, about the fact some Linux distributions are " optimized "
> for i586 processors : what does it really change ? Are there any benchmarks
> comparing a distribution giving the choice of both i386/i586 ?

I don't know any, but you may find some interesting results at
<http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/compila.html>.
IIRC the average benefit is about only 5%, which may be somewhat
higher (eg. gzip compresses about 10-12% faster) in some cases.

In case you're interested, there's a project for recompiling potato
for the i586 at <http://debian.fsn.hu/>. The status report says that
they've already recompiled ~85 percent of the distribution with
pentium optimization.

Regards,

--
BALI, Andra's                                  GPG keyID: 78560E1C
drewie@bigfoot.com     bali@debian.org     andras.bali@stud.bke.hu