Re: Which mail user agent do you use?

dman wrote:

> check the User-Agent: or X-Mailer: headers to see what people are
> using.

Yes, good advice. I do this when I see someone sending out screwed-up
messages. Usually they're using Outlook or Netscape.

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:26:11PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
>
> | Now I use mutt, which allows me to use my own text editor (emacs),
>
> Ditto, but ugh (I use vim :-)).

"Ugh" back at ya. But I'm sure we don't need an editor flamewar at the
moment.

> | supports multiple accounts,
>
> What do you mean by this?  Do you mean that it is able to read from
> multiple POPS/IMAP servers or that you can edit the headers so that
> the message comes from a different name/address?

I mean that I can easily set up a complete system of which mutt is one
component, in which I can work with multiple accounts and not have to
think about it much. I don't actually know whether mutt can be told to
access multiple POP/IMAP servers, because I use fetchmail/procmail for
retrieving and sorting my incoming messages. The main features of mutt
that help me are the fact that I can use folder-hooks to set the "From:"
header automatically according to the folder I'm in, and that mutt's
"alternatives" variable allows it to recognize several addresses as "me"
for purposes of displaying things nicely in the message index.

> BTW, Mahogany (on sourceforge) is another mailer out there.  It uses
> C++ and wxWindows for the GUI.  As a result it can look like GTK+,
> Motif, or MSW depending on which wxWindows (and os) you are using.
> They also embed the python interpreter so you can extend it with
> python.

Yes, I remember reading about that one several months ago. At the time,
it seemed too immature, but perhaps it's worth a try now. The embedded
Python for scripting is nice. But I'm comfortable with my mutt
configuration, so I'm not too interested in switching.

> [Mutt] is also really nice for using
> when you don't have an X server or a fast connection to the host you
> read mail on.

Yes, that was one of my considerations. I regard it as essential that I
should be able to access my mail remotely over a slow ssh connection.
This means networked X is out of the question. I would definitely use
mutt for remote access even if I used something else at the console, so
that means that any GUI MUA I would consider using has to support the
kind of mail folder formats that mutt (and procmail) support. That's why
I rejected Evolution (aside from the fact that, at that time, it crashed
a lot).

Craig