Re: Which mail user agent do you use?

spear wrote:

> Nobody mentioned Sylpheed, mostly available for Woody because of the libc6 &
> co updated libraries ...
>
> I like it because it's available in many languages, like mine (french) and
> is easy to use/configure ...

I tried Sylpheed for a while earlier this year. It was the only GUI
mailer I found that I could even begin to tolerate. All the others
either didn't support multiple accounts (Balsa), or crashed left and
right (Mozilla, at that time), or used non-standard mailbox formats
(Evolution), or didn't use GTK (my strongly-preferred toolkit), or were
just too early in development for serious consideration.

I ended up dropping Sylpheed because its text editor sucked (cursor
movement in the presence of wrapped lines, in particular, was atrocious;
that's probably been fixed by now), and because the developers didn't
seem interested in the idea of automatically checking the mailbox (not a
server, but the local mailbox itself) every few minutes, which I wanted
because I use fetchmail to retrieve my mail from remote POP and IMAP
servers, and procmail to filter it (Sylpheed's filtering wasn't bad, but
not in procmail's league).

Now I use mutt, which allows me to use my own text editor (emacs),
supports multiple accounts, doesn't crash, supports all the common
mailbox formats (I prefer maildir), intelligently handles mailing lists,
and is configurable as hell.

Craig