XFree86 problem on Woody

Hi

I still have an unresolved problem with XFree86.

If I try to startx using XF86Config-4 it gets to the point of adding mouse drivers and then crashes with a Signal 11 error. There are no other errors apart from something to do with APM and it crashes while loading peripherals in KDE2.2

I can startx (actually start KDE2.2) using the old XF86Config file but the display is strange (funny lines across it) on going back to the shell I get this error:

Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved

I have searched on Google but as yet haven't found a way to fix this error, if anyone has any ideas that would be great =)

This is an install of Debian (Woody) with KDE2.2 packages from unstable on an old Compaq Deskpro 2000 P133, I use the vesa driver.

Rachel