Re: Via82cxxx locked at 48kHz

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Heather Hunter wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have the following problem regarding the VT82C686A chipset
> for sound output.
>
> I use the via82cxxx module in the kernel and
> with kernel 2.4.3 everything worked fine.
> All recent kernel versions (2.4.6 / 2.4.9) lock the audio play
> rate at 48kHz.
>
> I think it has something to do with a bug in the chipset which
> was fixed by quirks.c in 2.4.3.
> But I really don't know why it doesn't work with the new kernels.
>
> I would be grateful for any suggestion,
> and please no "use alsa instead" replies.
> Heather

I have a AOpen KT33 motherboard with a VT82C686 chipset, and I have the
same problems with both Linux and BeOS. It works fine with the Windows
drivers.

I tried a couple of different versions of the via82cxxx driver, and the
moment it broke was when support for fixed-rate chipsets was added. This
seems to indicate that the bug is actually on the AOpen motherboard.

My solution was to simply to copy the last working driver version over the
one currently shipped in the Linux kernel. I'm sure this is quite unwise,
but what the heck, it works :)

Peter De Wachter