Re: Message fron chron: cannot get ip address for localhost

Ok, fitst I checked and made sure I do have a dynamic isp. I do.
Secondly, I now have got it to recognize my fqdn as
maranatha.chartermi.net and my dnsdomainname as chartermi.net.
However, if I put localhost in between the "127.0.0.1 and the
"maranatha.chartermi.net" I will start getting "localhost" as the fqdn.
Also, as soon as I put localhost anywhere in the/etc/hosts, fetchmail
hangs right after looking at the first message; no delivery and no
explanation even on verbose.
I also tried putting my internet address in the /etc/hosts file; though
it's dynamic it has remained constant. When I did this and ran fetchmail,
I got something about "neighbor table overflow".
When I type "ifconfig" my loopback interface doesn't show; if I type
"ifconfig lo" it shows but not as running. Only if I mannually bring it up
does it appear to be up.

I also did notice when using pump "maybe dhcpcd would tell me this with
the proper options; I don't know) that my isp's hostname is showing up as
mad.chartermi.net (I assume mad for Madison) but I wasn't told to use the
"mad" anywhere.
While I do of course have an email address with my isp, they apparently
don't use a hostname to identify me, so I don't have a hostname per se
with them.
Those are all the relevant facts I can think of at the moment.