Re: How to use the driver-1.bin image?

> Hi, deal all
>
> I want to use the files in
> /dist/stable/mail/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact on the Debian
> official CD-Rom.  There're three files in this directory:
>
> driver-1.bin
> rescue.bin
> root.bin
>
> I know that rescue.bin is a fat12 image, and root.bin is a gziped ram disk. > I successfuly copied these images to floppies by using `dd'. But what the
> format of driver-1.bin?  I used `file' to determin its type.  But `file'
> only said it's data.  I also copied it to a floppy using `dd' but had no
> idea how to use it.  Any advice?  Please `CC' to my own e-mail address.
> Thank you very much.

You have to dd all the files to a floppy disk. Then boot up your computer
using the rescue disk and insert the rootdisk when prompted. When the
installation program has been launched, you will be asked for the

I don't realy want to install system on the hard disk. I just want to use these three diskettes doing some diagnostics, i.e, network or something else. Could I do this?

disk 1. Inserting this disk will do the rest. AFAIK the driver* and base*
disks do not have a real filesystem, it is just a piece of a compressed
archive written to the disk (with checksums and header of course).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

Best regards,
Dai Yuwen