Re: How to use the driver-1.bin image?

High,

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Yuwen Dai wrote:

> Hi, deal all
>
> I want to use the files in
> /dist/stable/mail/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact on the Debian
> official CD-Rom.  There're three files in this directory:
>
> driver-1.bin
> rescue.bin
> root.bin
>
> I know that rescue.bin is a fat12 image, and root.bin is a gziped ram disk.
> I successfuly copied these images to floppies by using `dd'.  But what the
> format of driver-1.bin?  I used `file' to determin its type.  But `file'
> only said it's data.  I also copied it to a floppy using `dd' but had no
> idea how to use it.  Any advice?  Please `CC' to my own e-mail address.
> Thank you very much.

You have to dd all the files to a floppy disk. Then boot up your computer
using the rescue disk and insert the rootdisk when prompted. When the
installation program has been launched, you will be asked for the driver
disk 1. Inserting this disk will do the rest. AFAIK the driver* and base*
disks do not have a real filesystem, it is just a piece of a compressed
archive written to the disk (with checksums and header of course).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98