boot from rescue into single user or with no modules loaded

    The subject pretty much says it all.  I needed to
install Windows98 to use a program called Xilinx.
After doing this I went and installed System Commander
so I could dual boot into GNU/Linux and Windows 98.
System Commander wasn't able to boot GNU/Linux.  I
uninstalled it and tried to boot into GNU/Linux using
a boot disk.  The first time I was able to with some
problems.  Here are the error messages:

modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/modules.dep

modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-1

    Now the system won't get past these error
messages.  It starts to boot, then these messages just
keep repeating over and over again.  How can I boot up
with no modules loaded from a boot disk or the CD-ROM?
 I figure if I can do this, I'll update LILO and be in
good shape.

Ian