Re: cvs

Colin Watson wrote:

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 09:20:38AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

I want to load /usr/local/mozilla as part of PATH. I thought I could do this under .profile - but I either fat-fingered something or it just ignored it.
Similarly, I have added 'export CVSROOT=/var/lib/cvs' to .profile.
But when I open an xterm window ... there is no CVSROOT.

Read 'man bash', in the INVOCATION section. ~/.profile isn't read by
non-login shells, which are what xterm runs (unless you give it the -ls
option).

What I normally do is put all shell initialization commands in
~/.bashrc, then have '[ -f ~/.bashrc ] && . ~/.bashrc' in
~/.bash_profile to source ~/.bashrc if it exists. It's less confusing
that way.

That works like a dream! Thanks for the 'refresher' course. ( I should have known this, but forget somewhere ).

I've got a new problem.
as root:

created group 'cvs'
added myself to group cvs

cd /var/lib/cvs
chgrp -R cvs .
chmod ug+rwx . CVSROOT

(I got this stuff from /usr/doc/cvsbook/cvsbook_4.html#SEC50)

all the files in /var/lib/csv have the permission/ownership of
drwxrwsr-x   root    cvs   CVSROOT
drwxr-sr-x   root    cvs   myproject

But when I (as joe-user) do:
cd ~/myproject
cvs import -m "Import Source" myproject fatco1 rel0
I'm pummelled with "Permission Denied"...

I can't create a file in the myproject directory, even manually. I'm sure it's got to do with the 's' notation on permissions, but I have no idea if I should try to modify the sticky bit.