Re: run dselect for remote machine (nfs+chroot?)

I did experimented on this nfs+chroot approach.  Following is my report:

> Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:52:23AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > >I have slow 486DX2 (20MB) running woody as router.
> > >I realize memory swaps out frequently when I run dselect.
> >
> >I have 486DX 33 12 Mb, and found out that after selecting packages to
> >install I could reduce the memory used by dselect by quitting dselect
> >and then restart and go directly to install.
> >I finally gave up dselect and am now relying only on apt.

I know the feeling.  I used to run dselect on faster machine to find
a package and just run apt-cache/apt-get on slow machine.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 02:57:14PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> Besides being "user friendly" is there any that dselect does that
> apt-get cannot do?  The only thing that I'm aware of is that there can
> be different files upgraded when I select 'dselect' over 'apt-get upgrade'
> Or am I just suffering from a mis-conception?

Yes.  apt-get pulls all the package listed in "suggests" which can be
avoided by dselect by putting them on "_", i.e., purge.

That is just classic "apt-get install". "apt-get upgrade", and "apt-get
dist-upgrade". New "apt-get dselect-upgrade" should honor setting by
dselect.

I nfs mounted all the slow machine files (/ /usr /tmp /var ...) as rw
from root account on a tree below /mnt using files exported by
(rw,no_root_squash,nohide). I "chroot" there and mounted proc of faster
machine to new /proc.  dselect and "apt-get install" for slow machine
worked beautifully from the root account of faster remote machine.

dselect "select" had a great speed improvement in nfs+chroot environment
since I had a lot of memory on faster machine.  But actual download and
install was very slower than expected because file moves through
networks between machines.  From reading "top", nfs seems to consume CPU
heavily and network speed of 10 baseT was limitted (old 16 bit PCMCIA
card on slow PC can only do this speed even though network I have is 100
baseT.)

After all, mounting remote slow system to a faster machine.  Then chroot
to there and run "dselect" to set selection.  This is a good idea to
avoid memory swapping and slowness.  Then I should have quited dselect
and run "apt-get dselect-upgrade" directly on the slow machine, I think.

Cheers ;-)
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +