Re: intrusion detection / logfile reporter

hi timo

i like to ask more detailed stuff...

here's some simpler answers...
	- as others have said, download and install logcheck or equivalent

-- Debian security howto
	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

-- patch your kernel
	- add libsafe, ow1, etc

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Harden/kernel.gwif.html

-- to detect incoming email virus
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/server.gwif.html#Mail

-- to detect that a script kiddie added some files to your maohines
   or modified your system
	run tripwire, aide, etc
	do your own checksums, md5 on files oyu care about

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/IDS/

-- to detect that a script kiddies is scanning your ports
	run snort, ippl, etc

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Scanner

-- audit your server for vulnerabilities
	( at least take a minute and do the simple stuff
	run nmap,nessus

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Audit/

-- running log file anaysis is nice...but remember that most script
   kiddies will erase traces of their attacks from the log files
	- send all logs to a secure loghost server

-- to detect that someone has logged in as root
	send yourself email from ~root/.login

-- More server and network security hardening

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Harden/

-- lots of fun stuff...

have fun linuxing
alvin