problem with gnome (mouse can not move)

   I install wooody,at the beginning, I install the base system
and then I use base-config to let it install others aumatically,
but after download 330M files, it said something was wrong,and can not
finished it aumatically.Then I use dpkg -i * to install all the package
whick are possible to install rightly.
   when I use command "xinit" it said that "no screen found"
But when I input startx,the GNOME beginning to startx.it is very slow,
and I can see  the "UWM menu" and "Application menu",after
GNOME is running,I can not move the mouse,what is the problem,
is it a problem of xfr86cinfig?
              thanks