Re: Stale Documentation: ethernet cards

Comments below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Nelson" <nelson@bignachos.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 4:26 AM
Subject: Re: Stale Documentation: ethernet cards

> lloyder@canada.com writes:
>
> > SUMMARY:
> > * getting Debian setup is very likely to be very
> > dependent on "manually" getting the ethernet card(s)
> > online
> > * Linux Ethernet-Howto is very stale!
> > ** many other Howto's are also very stale!
> >
> > I am trying to shed the shackles of M$, but documentation
> > has weighed upon me like a mountain.  What has lead
> > to the staleness?  Is Bill's minions at work...
> > I think not.
>
> Well, 5-6 years ago, all the linux howto documentation was very
> relevant because the distros were all pretty simple and similar.
> Setting up something in Redhat wasn't much different than in
> Slackware, or whatever.  Now, most distros have their own
> configuration tools and tend to vary pretty significantly between each
> other.

The forking is probably unfortunately, result of $$.
My point is exactly that, it is apparent that Debian
users still likely need those documents, and need them
to be up to date.

> Therefore, it's almost always better to consult the documentation for
> your distro first.

O believe me, I did that!

> > It is absolutely amazing how well so many resources
> > can dance around a detailed, relevant explaination.
> > I am particularly disappointed in the Debian Install
> > Manual -- as this is by the team that I want to
> > play for!
>
> If you find a lack of adequate documentation in a certain area, feel
> free to write your own.  Add stuff to newbiedoc or wherever.
>
> Personally, I almost always find out what I'm looking for.  There's
> more than enough info out there, you just need to know where to look
> for it.

"You just need to know where to look for it", is one
of my least favorite things for ppl to say.
It is bad hat when newbies / "normal" users are involved.
I feel better for all of the knowledge that I have started
to gain over this weekend, but others would not be so
forgiving, ie. snap D. cds and grab RH, Man, or Suz CDs.

> And, don't forget, all those years you've spent learning MS OS's do
> not translate into instant expertise in linux.  It's different here,
> mostly for the better, if you have the patience to learn it.

Of course not, have I suggested otherwise ;-)  I do spend about
50% on Win, 30% of my time on AIX, 15% on Sun, 15% on
Linux.  I am hoping to make it more like 70% Linux,
15% Win, 10% AIX, 5% Sun .  I am confident that I will
be successful in this.

Best regards,
Lloyd