Re: Stale Documentation: ethernet cards

lloyder@canada.com writes:

> SUMMARY:
> * getting Debian setup is very likely to be very
> dependent on "manually" getting the ethernet card(s)
> online
> * Linux Ethernet-Howto is very stale!
> ** many other Howto's are also very stale!
>
> I am trying to shed the shackles of M$, but documentation
> has weighed upon me like a mountain.  What has lead
> to the staleness?  Is Bill's minions at work...
> I think not.

Well, 5-6 years ago, all the linux howto documentation was very
relevant because the distros were all pretty simple and similar.
Setting up something in Redhat wasn't much different than in
Slackware, or whatever.  Now, most distros have their own
configuration tools and tend to vary pretty significantly between each
other.

Therefore, it's almost always better to consult the documentation for
your distro first.

> It is absolutely amazing how well so many resources
> can dance around a detailed, relevant explaination.
> I am particularly disappointed in the Debian Install
> Manual -- as this is by the team that I want to
> play for!

If you find a lack of adequate documentation in a certain area, feel
free to write your own.  Add stuff to newbiedoc or wherever.

Personally, I almost always find out what I'm looking for.  There's
more than enough info out there, you just need to know where to look
for it.

And, don't forget, all those years you've spent learning MS OS's do
not translate into instant expertise in linux.  It's different here,
mostly for the better, if you have the patience to learn it.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>