Re: "upgrade" vs "dist-upgrade"

on a side note, i've been wodering something. i have two boxes, one potato, one woody. from what i understand, the "dist-upgrade" will let some packages to be removed (converted) to other (replacement) packages while "upgrade" won't.
on that thought, on the potato box... sources.list points to "stable" not "potato"... so, when woody becomes stable, (assuming the "stable" is a symlink on the server... would an apt-get update and upgrade automatically take you to woody?... or, once woody becomes stable, should i do a "dist-upgrade" at least once?

thanks,
jason

--
registered linux user #202942