Re: [debian-user] install with 3 partitions

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:17:29PM -0600, Rich Puhek wrote:
> Um... You can't mount /home, /tmp, /usr, and /var on hda5. You can only
> mount a partition at one place at a time.

Well, you sort of can:

telinit 1 (ie, go to single user mode)
mkdir /storage
mount /dev/hda5 /storage
mkdir /storage/home /storage/usr /storage/var /storage/tmp
cp -a /home /storage/home
cp -a /var /storage/var
cp -a /usr /storage/usr
cp -a /tmp /storage/tmp
rm -rf /tmp /usr /home /var
cd /
ln -s ./storage/var var
ln -s ./storage/usr usr
ln -s ./storage/home home
ln -s ./storage/tmp tmp

This makes home var usr and tmp share one big partition, that you access
via symlinks as normal.

> ...I'm not sure you want to mount /tmp seperately. To be on the safe
> side... might want to leave that where it is.

Mounting /tmp as it's own partition is a really good idea; it prevents
out of control programs and users from using /tmp to fill up your system
disks.  In kernel 2.4.x, you can even mount tmpfs there, and take
advantage of tmp files rarely getting written to disk.