Re: [debian-user] I'm coming on board

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Dickson" <crdic@yahoo.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [debian-user] I'm coming on board

> lloyder@canada.com wrote:
>
> > (a) It seems that much of www.debian.org is not responding, so I have
> > been using one of the [nation].debian.org sites.
> > But these do not seem to have access to the bugs.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean security updates for the
> stable branch of Debian, those are at security.debian.org. There was
> a brief outage of non-us.debian.org and security.debian.org a few days
> ago when they were moved to a new machine, but they're fine now.

Frank Zimmermann gets what I am talking about in his suggestion to try my
local mirror -- though he meant http://www.uk.debian.org/.
I live in Toronto, Canada though... but uk seems very responsive.

> > (d) I am looking for the install tree as it would be on CD(s), as I think
> > something in the install documentation is incorrect and I want to verify
> > that it is not just at the release/minor that I have from last year.  Any
> > help?
>
> I don't know of any place online that has unpacked CDs. You can get the
> CD image files and burn them to CDs.
>
> If you're not sure about something in the documentation, feel free to
> ask here about it.

alrite, I have Potato 2.2rev2.  Please confirm where in install boot.bat
is on rev3 and in dev stream Woody.  I find it in \install directory.

> > (e) Anyway to automatically have the subject line identify the mailing
> > list.  A few of my other mailing lists have that, example
> > Subject: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> > Subject: Re: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> > Subject: Re:[debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> > ** ick, I dislike when mail clients don't include the space after Re:
>
> If you're planning to use a Linux-based email client, you'll be able to
> filter your mail into folders based on any header, not just Subject.
> For Debian mailing lists, the X-Mailing-List header gives you both the
> name of the list and also the archive index of the message. Your message,
> for example, had this header when I received it:

> I use a popular mail filtering program called procmail. There are others
> as well.
>
> I suppose procmail could modify the headers of your incoming mail, if
> you really want to identify the list in the Subject header. I've never
> used it that way, though.

Awesome info Craig, probably more sophisticated
user solution than
I currently can do... so I may be coming back to yall for help on that ;-)
Does anyone else see the benefit for server-side subject line
identification particularly for the newbie, possibly only for 'debian-user'.
I know that my local LUG, TLUG, which I recently started getting
involved in, does just this.  I could find out what it takes.

I know, I know, you guys hate it when the new guy tries to change the world :-D

Best regards,
Lloyd D Budd