Framebuffer question

I'm trying to get framebuffer to work on a Compq box that came with an ATI
Mach64 chipset video card.

After reading through the HOWTO on this I have managed to comiple a kernel
that will make framebuffer work, however the font is to small to use. I'm
using GRUB as a loader, and acording to the HOWTO, I should be able to put
in a line like:

append = "video=atyfb:mode:1024x768,font:SUN12x22"

To control the resolutin and font. However notig I do with this line, seems
to change the look of the text mode consoles.

I tried:

append = "video=atyfb:mode:640x480,font:SUN12x22"

and still got the timey unreadable font.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.