Re: Making Video CDs

On Friday 02 November 2001 08:34, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I'm interested in making my own Video CDs (playable in my
> VCD-compatible DVD player).
>
> I have a number of good-quality MPEG-2 movies. I gather I would have
> to convert these to MPEG-1. Is there any free Linux software that can
> do this?
>
> I read somewhere that a Video CD is simply a data CD with a
> particular directory structure and a set of text files for contents,
> menus, and so on, in addition to the MPEG-1 movie files. So can I
> just write the text files by hand and burn the files to a CD-R to
> create a working Video CD?

I don't think they're plain vanilla data CD's. Otherwise you can
happily do just:

mount /cdrom ; cp /cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat .

(or something to those effects). You can do a "dd" on a VCD, but the
resulting data isn't of much use. For making VCD's the definitive
resource is perhaps VCDimager, availbable for unstable. The website is
www.vcdimager.org. VCDimager accepts, however, only "compliant" mpeg-1
streams. So, you need another program to downgrade your "good-quality
MPEG-2 movies." You can try ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net).

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."