Re: Making Video CDs

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Craig Dickson wrote:

> I'm interested in making my own Video CDs (playable in my VCD-compatible
> DVD player).
>
> I have a number of good-quality MPEG-2 movies. I gather I would have to
> convert these to MPEG-1. Is there any free Linux software that can do
> this?
>
> I read somewhere that a Video CD is simply a data CD with a particular
> directory structure and a set of text files for contents, menus, and so
> on, in addition to the MPEG-1 movie files. So can I just write the text
> files by hand and burn the files to a CD-R to create a working Video CD?
>
> (My DVD player can handle audio CD-Rs, so I cross my fingers and hope
> that it will accept a Video CD-R too.)
>
> What tools are there for working with an ISO-9660 image file on Linux?
> How does one create an empty ISO-9660 image file? I gather once such a
> file exists, you can just mount it and then treat it like any other
> writable filesystem.

You can create an iso9660 filesystem using the 'mkisofs' program.  It has
a lot of options, so you had better just read its manual page rather than
me trying to explain it here.  You can create the filesystem as a file on
your hard disk, and mount it using the loopback device.

To use the loopback device, you must compile loopback filesystem support
into your kernel, or use the standard Debian kernels.  A loopback is
mounted in much the same way as any other filesystem:

mount -o loop <iso image file> <mount point>

Again you should have a look at the manual page for the 'mount' program.
There is a short section dealing with loopback.

-jwb