Re: [debian-user] I'm coming on board

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 09:56:39AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:

| > (e) Anyway to automatically have the subject line identify the mailing
| > list.  A few of my other mailing lists have that, example
| > Subject: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
| > Subject: Re: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
| > Subject: Re:[debian-user]: a big problem !!!
| > ** ick, I dislike when mail clients don't include the space after Re:
|
| If you're planning to use a Linux-based email client, you'll be able to
| filter your mail into folders based on any header, not just Subject.
| For Debian mailing lists, the X-Mailing-List header gives you both the
| name of the list and also the archive index of the message. Your message,
| for example, had this header when I received it:

| I use a popular mail filtering program called procmail. There are others
| as well.
|
| I suppose procmail could modify the headers of your incoming mail, if
| you really want to identify the list in the Subject header. I've never
| used it that way, though.

I use procmail this way to add a Lines: header so that mutt's display
of the message size is correct (using maildir folder).

# add the Lines: header if it is missing
:0 Bfh
* H ?? !^Lines:
* -1^0
| formail -A "Lines: $="

I don't really understand _how_ it works (it was given to me), but I'm
sure someone can modify it to munge the subject header.

-D