Re: [debian-user] I'm coming on board

lloyder@canada.com wrote:

> (a) It seems that much of www.debian.org is not responding, so I have
> been using one of the [nation].debian.org sites.
> But these do not seem to have access to the bugs.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean security updates for the
stable branch of Debian, those are at security.debian.org. There was
a brief outage of non-us.debian.org and security.debian.org a few days
ago when they were moved to a new machine, but they're fine now.

I see that www.debian.org is, as you say, not responding at the moment.

> (b) I cannot seem to find the FAQ for the various mailing lists, to make
> sure my questions have not been asked 1K times.  Where are they located?
> The archive and search both seem fairly good.

I don't think the individual lists have their own FAQs. The archive and
search, as you say, are good, and that's the best way to see if there's
already an answer for your question.

> (c) I am looking for the debian newbie or new user mailing list.  Does one
> not exist?

I think debian-user is the best place to ask general new user questions.

> (d) I am looking for the install tree as it would be on CD(s), as I think
> something in the install documentation is incorrect and I want to verify
> that it is not just at the release/minor that I have from last year.  Any
> help?

I don't know of any place online that has unpacked CDs. You can get the
CD image files and burn them to CDs.

If you're not sure about something in the documentation, feel free to
ask here about it.

> (e) Anyway to automatically have the subject line identify the mailing
> list.  A few of my other mailing lists have that, example
> Subject: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> Subject: Re: [debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> Subject: Re:[debian-user]: a big problem !!!
> ** ick, I dislike when mail clients don't include the space after Re:

If you're planning to use a Linux-based email client, you'll be able to
filter your mail into folders based on any header, not just Subject.
For Debian mailing lists, the X-Mailing-List header gives you both the
name of the list and also the archive index of the message. Your message,
for example, had this header when I received it:

I use a popular mail filtering program called procmail. There are others
as well.

I suppose procmail could modify the headers of your incoming mail, if
you really want to identify the list in the Subject header. I've never
used it that way, though.

Craig