Re: ISA AWE64 not detected

Chris Keelan wrote:

I have a Soundblaster AWE64 which was detected automatically by
Mandrake.

Now I'm running Woody and I can't get the card detected. pnpdump finds a
bunch of listings but pnpprobe gives me "no cards found".

I've been through the mini-HOWTO, edited my isapnp.conf and even get
some
confirmation messages at boot but I still can't get the card recognized
by
sndconfig.

Here's my /etc/isapnp.conf file (pretty much cribbed from the HOWTO at
this
point:

>---snip---<

Chris,

I got a SB AWE64 working under Debian "testing".  It took a bit of "cut
& try", but with the help of the HOWTO, I finally got it going.  Here is
what I suggest you do:

1.  Make sure you have the most recent version of the isapnptools
package.  When I first started, the older version I had on my machine
just would NOT work for some reason.  It would detect my card, but I
could not make the suggested wavetable edits without it complaining of
an error.

2.  As root, run "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf then edit the resulting
file by removing the comment marks to match your crib.  DON'T use the
crib!!  I had to add the two additional wavetable entries manually as
noted in the HOWTO.  When selecting which set of values to uncomment,
make sure those resources are "free".  The irq selection is the most
problematic....especially if you happen to have a modem sitting on
irq=5.

3.  Reboot and watch the screen during bootup.  Just before the
"calculating module depencencies" you should see your card being
recognized and intialized to the values you selected in your
/etc/isapnp.conf file.

4.  Insert the suggested modules using modconf.  I would do these
one-at-a-time and check between each addition with a "lsmod" command.
Some of those will drag others with it automatically.  Make sure you
give the io, irq, dma, and dma16 parameters you have listed in
/etc/isapnp.conf.  BTW, the dma16 value is the SECOND dma
channel...usually 5.

5.  Alternatively, you can d/l and install the "sndconfig" package and
run it.  It will NOT pick up your card, but you can select it from the
list provided, and it will install all the necessary module aliases into
/etc/modutils/sndconfig.  I 'think" it runs "update-modules", but you
should probably run it manually after using sndconfig to make sure your
modules.conf file is updated.  It also gives you a chance to test the
config before saving it, so have your speakers hooked up.

6.  At this point you should have all the sound capabilities of the card
enabled, EXCLUDING the wavetable MIDI synthisis.  You will have FM
Synthisis, but the improvement in Wavetable synth is remarkable & well
worth the effort.  Sorry, I don't have the details of doing this...just
follow the HOWTO.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-