Re: ISA AWE64 not detected

"Donald R. Spoon" wrote:

> Chris Keelan wrote:
>
> I have a Soundblaster AWE64 which was detected automatically by
> Mandrake.
>
> Now I'm running Woody and I can't get the card detected. pnpdump finds a
> bunch of listings but pnpprobe gives me "no cards found".
>
> I've been through the mini-HOWTO, edited my isapnp.conf and even get
> some
> confirmation messages at boot but I still can't get the card recognized
> by
> sndconfig.
>
> Here's my /etc/isapnp.conf file (pretty much cribbed from the HOWTO at
> this
> point:
>
> >---snip---<
>
> Chris,
>
> I got a SB AWE64 working under Debian "testing".  It took a bit of "cut
> & try", but with the help of the HOWTO, I finally got it going.  Here is
> what I suggest you do:
>
> 1.  Make sure you have the most recent version of the isapnptools
> package.  When I first started, the older version I had on my machine
> just would NOT work for some reason.  It would detect my card, but I
> could not make the suggested wavetable edits without it complaining of
> an error.
>
> 2.  As root, run "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf then edit the resulting
> file by removing the comment marks to match your crib.  DON'T use the
> crib!!  I had to add the two additional wavetable entries manually as
> noted in the HOWTO.  When selecting which set of values to uncomment,
> make sure those resources are "free".  The irq selection is the most
> problematic....especially if you happen to have a modem sitting on
> irq=5.

  I wasn't able to get pnpdump & isapnp working (still don't know why,
it used to work with slackware ages ago, but it never worked with debian
(I guess it's more important that it's newer version of pnp, distro
probably doesn't have much to do with it), however when I used isapnp
module that comes with alsa the card worked (still works, using
unstable).

	erik