Re: Ugly fonts when converting to pdf

Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> writes:

> I have made a document in yudit (http://www.yudit.org) which I printed
[...]
> But now with this document I have written on linux I get very ugly
> fonts when I look at the pdf file in xpdf or acroread. When I print
> the pdf file it comes out very nice.

It looks like yudit is inserting the glyph outlines by hand, not
including the TTF as a type43 (iirc) font in the postscript output.
Acrobat reader and xpdf will then display them as graphics, and
neither can antialias graphics.  In addition, all hinting information
has been lost, so it's never going to look that good on screen.

This is a yudit problem, and there's no way that you'll get decent pdf
out of its output with any program.  You'll need to get upstream to
fix their font handling.  Regretably, I'll have to recommend you use
something else for unicode documents right now... I don't know much
about it, so I can't recommend anything specific.  Maybe Omega
(unicode-based TeX <http://omega.cse.unsw.edu.au:8080/>)?

Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.