Re: Patches applied to stock kernel to make deb kernel image

#include <hallo.h>
Adam Warner wrote on Wed Oct 31, 2001 um 07:28:19AM:

> I'm not an expert on this but I understand that Debian stays as close to
> the offical Linus kernel as possible. So if you want to compile your own
> kernel you should be fine just using a Linus one from kernel.org (or

No. mkcramfs on initrd is broken in Linus's tree, so please don't build
initrd-aware kernel-image packages without using the debianised source
package.

> mirrors). In my experience you will only need to patch it if you have
> non-standard hardware requirements (e.g. for one of my computers I
> require the Parallel Port SCSI patch).

BTW, ppscsi patch is available in the patch-package in Sid. And in
kernel-image-2.4.13-586-ext3 image.

> make menuconfig (and select the options I want)

Yes, which _you_ want. If someone uses the config file from the Debian
packages (with initrd), you will see the breakage when you try to boot
with it.

> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install

We have "make-kpkg" for such tasks. Makes your life easier.

> This isn't the standard Debian way of installing a kernel. However I
> have non-standard requirements like ReiserFS compiled into the kernel
> image which means I have to compile my own kernels.

Errrr, this is not the reason for not using make-kpkg.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
That's easy: If it ain't the prompt, it's shit.